Sunday, September 27, 2009

Peace One Day: Jeremy Gilley




A lot of what we talked about during the whole Mosaic experience was the need to take initiative and not giving up no matter what the odds. And to not be cynics.


One man, Jeremy Gilley, a British actor and filmmaker started his struggle in 1999 to establish one day of Peace. September 21. He had infectious enthusiasm, but everywhere he went, he faced cynics. People who thought it was impossible: what he demanded was ceasefire. One day to mark peace throughout the world. In September 2001, when they were officially going to mark September 21 as the World Peace Day, the WTC towers were attacked. The day's activities were postponed.







He faced many setbacks, he was worried about accepting help from Coco Cola to support this day, but he often had to adapt to new changes.

"The more violence I saw, the more frustrated I felt about not being able to do anything about it. But I wanted to try... I'm dyslexic, my only qualification is a D in pottery, but that wasn't gonna stop me. You see if I failed, the film could make a profound statement about the world unwilling to change. If I succeeded, well that was almost inconceivable."


Watch his journey here. It is an inspiring piece of work. He has documented his failures, his setbacks and then shows the world that perseverance will eventually pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment